Sr. Director, Market Access (Field Leader)« Back
Job #: 03-252
Job Title: Sr. Director, Market Access (Field Leader)
Reports to: Vice President, Market Access
Location: Waltham, MA
Deciphera Pharmaceuticals is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on improving the lives of cancer patients. We have used our proprietary drug discovery platform to develop a diverse pipeline of drug candidates designed to improve outcomes for patients with cancer by enhancing the quality, rate and/or durability of their responses to treatment. We currently retain global development and commercialization rights to our drug candidates, including three programs in clinical development. Deciphera (NASDAQ: DCPH) is a publicly traded company headquartered just outside Boston in Waltham, Massachusetts. Our state-of-the-art research facility is located near the University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kansas.
We offer an outstanding culture and opportunity for personal and professional growth based on these key principles:
- providing a collaborative, energized and fun work environment where people are empowered and supported in the achievement of their career goals
- a diverse and multi-disciplinary workforce
- dedicated and talented people who are passionate about achieving excellence in all they do
- a work environment that allows you to balance your priorities
- above all else, a commitment to the patients we serve
The Sr. Director, Market Access (Field Leader) is a newly created role within Deciphera’s Commercial organization. This role reports to the Vice President of Market Access and it will have a tremendous impact in bringing Deciphera’s first oral cancer therapy to market for patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST).
The individual will be responsible for hiring and leading all field-based Market Access team members, implementing customer facing programs and execution of account management activities. The person will hire and directly manage a “best in class” Market Access field team and will be responsible for the successful implementation of a strategic and tactical plan to support patient access. Sr. Director will have responsibility for a team that calls on multiple external customer types; National Accounts, Regional Accounts, Medicare, Medicaid, PBMs, Oncology GPOs, Federal Accounts, and the field reimbursement team calling on provider offices and supporting patients. This role will require significant collaboration with other market access team members as well as cross functional partnership with Sales, Marketing, and Commercial Operations.
- Hire and lead a team of field-based Market Access professionals with multiple responsibilities associated with payers, providers, and other entities that influence access.
- Plan, direct, implement, and oversee activities of National Account executives and Regional Account management.
- Create the strategic and tactical plan for the payer and field reimbursement business segment to successfully support access and awareness of Ripretinib.
- Partner with pricing and access leads to develop and implement contracting strategies.
- Direct regional team in educating healthcare providers and their staff in all settings of care on product coverage, product acquisition options and patient support services offerings.
- Set clear performance objectives/expectations and provide ongoing coaching and development of direct reports.
- Lead cross functional teams in developing and executing access-focused Strategic Account Plans in cooperation with relevant functions (Sales, MSLs, Medical Affairs, Marketing and Pricing).
- Identify, create, and execute specific programs and services to support best in class market access support.
- Coordinate activities of the regional account team in cooperation with the patient hub and SP partners to minimize barriers to access on a patient specific basis.
- Prioritize team efforts across stakeholders to maximize opportunities, share customer insights, and aid the team in obtaining and allocating resources.
- Partner with Sales, Marketing, and Medical Affairs on development and execution of action plans to address specific unexpected barriers that may necessitate the coordination of external parties like advocacy groups, government lobbyists, state societies, and physician groups.
- Identify opportunities for pull-through and improved account access in partnership with other members of the market access team, Sales and Marketing.
- Ensure all account activity is accurately reflected in CRM and analyze key reports to ensure objectives are met.
- Establish and maintain regional customer maps effectively ranking customer call priorities / tiering of accounts.
- Continuously review, evaluate and recommend improvements to organization to enable higher performance.
- Manage regional expenses according to budget.
- Ensure all field team activities are conducted compliantly.
- Proactive, results oriented, self-starter motivated by the desire to do the right thing for the patients and their caregivers
- 15+ years of working in the pharma/biotech space, with at least 10+ years with management experience and 10 years of access focused experience.
- Experience with oral oncology or rare oral therapy.
- Strong oral and written presentation skills and executive presence.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, highly visible and dynamic environment is critical; able to work effectively with ambiguity and incomplete information.
- Ability to influence and lead across functions; operate in a matrix environment.
- Must be a true team player – authentic, humble, able to build a positive team spirit and lead through the ups and downs of drug development, puts success of team above own interests and support everyone’s efforts to grow and develop
- Ability and willingness to work effectively and seamlessly at multiple “altitudes” within the organization. Maintains a “no job is too big or too small” attitude necessary to succeed in a startup environment
- Must adhere to Deciphera’s core values, policies, procedures and business ethics
Deciphera offers competitive compensation, including equity-based compensation, and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement plan, life insurance and a flexible spending account for either health care and/or dependent care.