Sr. Commercial Contracts Counsel« Back
Job #: 03-248
Job Title: Sr. Commercial Contracts Counsel
Location: Waltham, MA
Deciphera Pharmaceuticals is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on improving the lives of cancer patients. We have used our proprietary drug discovery platform to develop a diverse pipeline of drug candidates designed to improve outcomes for patients with cancer by enhancing the quality, rate and/or durability of their responses to treatment. We currently retain global development and commercialization rights to our drug candidates, including three programs in clinical development. Deciphera (NASDAQ: DCPH) is a publicly traded company headquartered just outside Boston in Waltham, Massachusetts. Our state-of-the-art research facility is located near the University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kansas.
We offer an outstanding culture and opportunity for personal and professional growth based on these key principles:
- providing a collaborative, energized and fun work environment where people are empowered and supported in the achievement of their career goals
- a diverse and multi-disciplinary workforce
- dedicated and talented people who are passionate about achieving excellence in all they do
- a work environment that allows you to balance your priorities
- above all else, a commitment to the patients we serve
We are seeking a Sr. Commercial Contracts Counsel to provide general advice across all functions, with a focus on commercial contracts. The primary responsibilities of the Sr. Commercial Contracts Counsel will be drafting, reviewing, revising, and negotiating general and sophisticated corporate and commercial agreements. We are seeking a dynamic and collaborative life science attorney who wants to contribute to the growth of a thriving, fast-paced biotech.
This is an outstanding opportunity to join the legal function at a well-funded, clinical stage biotech company with the potential to commercialize a lead oncology asset currently in Phase 3. In this role you will be a generalist with a focus on negotiating contracts and providing legal advice on contract escalation issues. You will have the opportunity to work cross functionally across the company and contribute to important strategic initiatives as well as operational matters.
This position reports to the Associate General Counsel and be located in the Waltham, MA office.
- Lead the negotiating and drafting of contracts customary to a fast-growing clinical-stage biotech company that is preparing to launch its first product, with a primary focus on commercial contracts
- Provide legal support across the organization, including quickly and effectively identifying complex legal and compliance issues and providing advice in a manner that integrates legal risk management with the company’s business objectives
- Draft, review, revise and negotiate a range of complex corporate and commercial agreements, including IT, licensing, services, consulting, supply, confidentiality, collaboration, research and data-related agreements.
- Manage outside counsel as needed
- Develop and maintain strong business relationships across the company and contribute to cross-functional or departmental projects and teams.
- Assist the legal and compliance teams with a variety of legal matters, including general corporate, compliance, regulatory and other legal matters
- Support efforts to effectively manage the delivery of legal services including budgeting, recruiting, performance management, process improvements, operations, training and team building.
- Manage and complete any additional projects or legal matters as needed, including general corporate matters
- Excellent academic qualifications, JD required; candidates should have a minimum of 5–8 years’ experience including biotech/pharma experience.
- Commercial experience preferred.
- License to practice Law in Massachusetts
- Excellent interpersonal and client relation skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment leveraging internal and external resources to meet simultaneous deadlines/demands
- Willingness to pitch-in and help on legal projects across the organization
- Experience with implementing a contract management system; creating and managing contract templates; training business partners on contracts policy
- Excellent research, writing, counselling and communication skills and a positive client service orientation
- Ability to work independently, as a team member, and across the organization
- Accountability, sound judgment, and the ability to take ownership of an issue and provide concise and timely advice
Deciphera offers competitive compensation, including equity-based compensation, and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement plan, life insurance and a flexible spending account for either health care and/or dependent care.