Medical Director, Medical Affairs« Back
Job #: 02-288
Job Title: Medical Director, Medical Affairs
Location: Waltham, MA
Deciphera Pharmaceuticals is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on improving the lives of cancer patients. We have used our proprietary drug discovery platform to develop a diverse pipeline of drug candidates designed to improve outcomes for patients with cancer by enhancing the quality, rate and/or durability of their responses to treatment. We currently retain global development and commercialization rights to our drug candidates, including three programs in clinical development. Deciphera (NASDAQ: DCPH) is a publicly traded company headquartered just outside Boston in Waltham, Massachusetts. Our state-of-the-art research facility is located near the University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kansas.
We offer an outstanding culture and opportunity for personal and professional growth based on these key principles:
- providing a collaborative, energized and fun work environment where people are empowered and supported in the achievement of their career goals
- a diverse and multi-disciplinary workforce
- dedicated and talented people who are passionate about achieving excellence in all they do
- a work environment that allows you to balance your priorities
- above all else, a commitment to the patients we serve
Deciphera Pharmaceuticals is searching for a highly motivated, insightful, and resourceful individual to join the newly formed Medical Affairs team.
Reporting directly to the Vice President, Global Medical Affairs, this highly visible role will have the rare opportunity to help build the Medical Affairs function from the ground up as we prepare to launch Deciphera’s first commercial therapy.
The Medical Director, Medical Affairs Global will be globally accountable for Medical Affairs (MA) activities for assigned products, in late stage development or post-launch. This position will lead the product strategy and facilitate collaboration across a matrix organization to ensure the creation and execution of the Medical Plan (MP). The MP will include MA sponsored data generation that addresses existing and future data gaps and supports reimbursement needs, a Publication Plan, Medical Tools and other MA tactics.
This position is also responsible for leading routine and ad-hoc assessments of the Benefit/Risk of assigned products.
The Medical Director will represent the medical affairs perspective at meetings with senior leadership. Interaction with Marketing Strategy will lead to the creation and execution of an integrated Global Brand plan. Collaboration with Development will support clinical development programs for new indications or line extensions for marketed products.
As a Senior Leader within Medical Affairs the Medical Director provides overall global vision and direction for the medical strategy and ensures that all med affairs activities comply with all Deciphera’s policies and SOPs and is accountable for the optimal allocation and management of Medical Affairs resources for the relevant products.
This position is fully accountable for timely execution of these MA deliverables within budget, and proactively manages the risk of not meeting timelines and budget.
- Lead the development of the Medical Plan for assigned products and accountable for execution.
- Support the creation and delivery of scientific and medical content for product level training internally and externally.
- Partners with HEOR lead to drive HEOR gap analysis and ensure projects to address these gaps are reflected in the CMP and support the creation of the Core Value Dossiers and outer outputs needed to support Access.
- Provide support in coordinating medical activities at medical and scientific conferences.
- Contribute in discussions with Development colleagues and ensure that MA (including HEOR) perspectives are provided and incorporated in Development plans.
- Able to lead or co-lead projects within MA beyond their TA.
- Build and maintains relationships with global experts and able to obtain important key scientific insights to support the TA.
- Effectively lead matrix teams of global and functional colleagues; ensure effective cross-regional and cross-functional collaboration; align all key MA projects globally for assigned product and indication. Champion an objective and evidence-based solution-oriented approach
- Promote Deciphera’s values.
- Accountable for MA strategies and tactics of one or more compounds in late stage development or early launch.
- Accountable for execution of medical plan within budget within timelines. Medical plan budget per compound per indication may range from 5m to 25m USD.
- Participate in the Global Product Strategy Team for 2-4 indications/compounds.
- Medical Degree (MD). Holds an appropriate medical degree and certification recognized by one of the leading medical governing bodies from around the globe.
- 3- 5 years total industry experience.
- Has good knowledge of TA/disease/product and can operate across several products within TA. Able to effectively communicate knowledge (TA/disease/product) to others.
- Experience in successfully leading cross-regional and cross-functional matrix teams either within Medical Affairs or clinical development. The ability to influence without direct authority is a critical skill set for this role.
- Demonstrates complex problem-solving skills and ability to manage more complex problems within TA or product teams.
- Has full understanding of rules and regulations in pharma, including knowledge of global regulatory bodies and procedures, as well as anti-kickback laws, which could have impact for the pharmaceutical industry. Appropriate knowledge of guidelines and regulations. Demonstrated ability to adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands and adjust approaches/methods to best fit the situation with maturity and professionalism
- Demonstrate managerial courage to make and stand by difficult decisions
- Thrives in fast-paced, minimally structured environment, able to deal with ambiguity and can act without having the complete picture
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
Deciphera offers competitive compensation, including equity-based compensation, and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement plan, life insurance and a flexible spending account for either health care and/or dependent care.