Director, Market Access Contracting, Operations & Pricing« Back
Position: Director, Market Access Operations, Contracting, and Pricing
Reports to Vice President, Market Access
Location: Waltham, MA
The Director, Market Access Operations, Contracting and Pricing is a newly-created role within Deciphera’s Commercial organization. This role reports to the Vice President of Market Access and it will have a tremendous impact in bringing Deciphera’s first oral cancer therapy to market for patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST).
Director, Market Access Operations, Contracting and Pricing will have a multi-faceted role that focuses on ensuring that all internal and external market access functions are operating optimally with a special emphasis on pricing and contracting excellence. This role includes development and oversight of processes associated with our contracting, pricing, government pricing, and internal team activities. The role reports to the Vice President of US Market Access. This role will require significant work cross functionally with other internal departments such as Marketing, Finance, Business Insights and Legal.
Deciphera Pharmaceuticals is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on improving the lives of cancer patients. We have used our proprietary drug discovery platform to develop a diverse pipeline of drug candidates designed to improve outcomes for patients with cancer by enhancing the quality and durability of their responses to treatment. We currently retain global development and commercialization rights to our drug candidates, including three programs in clinical development. Deciphera (NASDAQ: DCPH) is a publicly traded company headquartered just outside Boston in Waltham, Massachusetts. Our state-of-the-art research facility is located near the University of Kansas School of Pharmacy in Lawrence, Kansas.
Key Responsibilities for Director will include:
- Develop and execute product pricing and contracting strategies with payers, providers and GPOs and manage these agreements to ensure achievement of corporate goals.
- Support the US pricing committee function. Oversee decision-making process for any price concessions offered throughout the commercial channel; including but not limited to discounts, rebates, service fees, prompt pay, etc.
- Partner with the head of national accounts, and manage commercial, Medicare, and GPO contracting processes.
- Lead development of, and maintain Government Pricing/Reporting policies and procedures with the support of legal and external vendors as necessary
- Oversee Government Pricing including to ensure accurate calculations of monthly/quarterly pricing reports, submissions and rebate processing
- Stay current with pricing policies and legislation that impacts Deciphera and its portfolio at the state and federal level.
- Liaise with external counsel to clarify pricing questions and/or issues
- Create contracting SOP’s; build cross functional consensus and governance approval process.
- Create a framework for evaluating all contracting options.
- Engage in negotiations as needed with third parties to support the contracting strategy.
- Manage the Medicare Part D bid processes and oversee the annual formulary requests for Part D providers.
- Be internal expert on fair market value and maintain FMV assessments (partner with Legal).
- Manage all government contracts including with VA/DOD, Medicaid, FFS, Medicare Part D, etc.
- Participate in providing market access insight into areas that impact gross to net calculations for financial planning.
- Coordinate launch activities across US market access team; be a key representative to the core launch team for market access
- Determine with the access team, and then review, all market access KPIs and metrics produced by the Business Insights group, identify areas of opportunity and concern, and recommend strategic and tactical changes to the access team.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to monitor account and channel behaviors and impacts on financial outlook.
- Work with appropriate internal and external personnel to update and maintain Class of Trade and contract prices.
- Collaborate with Training to ensure market access needs are understood; be point person across access group for consolidated view of training
- Partner with meeting planning, field access, and sales to ensure consistent and high value approach to state societies, associations, and other non-routine touch points with customers
- Work with the head of access field teams to design and implement account review and selling processes, as well as competency models and partner with the head of training and development to ensure appropriate rollout
- Coordinate and manage market access business reviews process
- Manage overall budget for the US market access cost centers
- Proactive, results oriented, self-starter motivated by the desire to do the right thing for the patients and their caregivers
- Bachelor’s degree required. MBA preferred
- 10+ years of working in the pharma/biotech space, with at least 5+ years working with wholesale/specialty distributors and specialty pharmacies, specifically setting channel strategy and pulling through contracts.
- Experience with oral oncology or rare oral therapy.
- In-depth knowledge of managed care and impact on product access as with external partners and vendors.
- Strong oral and written presentation skills and executive presence.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, highly visible and dynamic environment is critical; able to work effectively with ambiguity and incomplete information.
- Ability to influence and lead across functions; operate in a matrix environment.
- Must be a true team player – authentic, humble, able to build a positive team spirit and lead through the ups and downs of drug development, puts success of team above own interests and support everyone’s efforts to grow and develop
- Ability and willingness to work effectively and seamlessly at multiple “altitudes” within the organization. Maintains a “no job is too big or too small” attitude necessary to succeed in a startup environment
- Must adhere to Deciphera’s core values, policies, procedures and business ethics